|The Product and Quality Development Division was established in the year 2000 to provide a co-ordinated effort to assist in the expansion of the value-added component of the Nova Scotia Agriculture industry.
|The overall mission is to promote, encourage and support the development of Nova Scotia's rural areas. The direction and approach of the Division's activities focuses on initiating industry change and providing the leadership necessary to make those changes. Nova Scotia processors can also benefit from unique opportunities for new product development ventures, product diversification and technical support.
The Product and Quality Development offers a variety of services based on the following goals:
- to strengthen the capacity for development of value-added agricultural products, services and technologies.
- to increase opportunities for government and industry quality and innovation initiatives in the agri-food sector.
- to address barriers to the development and commercialization of agricultural and food products, technologies and services.
- to identify, develop and promote value-added opportunities through co-ordinated and facilitated partnerships and strategic alliances at the community level.
In an effort to achieve these goals in a timely and financially responsible manner, the Division has developed the following strategic priorities. These strategic priorities have been developed through team efforts and will be actively pursued. Industry partners may have the opportunity to source technical information, linkages with industry or equipment suppliers and/or funding.
The Product and Quality Development Team identified the following priorities:
- encourage both primary and secondary producers in the
agriculture industry to produce new, value-added, and
high quality products. The Division's role is designed
to reduce barriers to commercialization and provide strategic
linkages between industry and government participants.
- provide professional support and strategic linkages
to assist clients and businesses associated with the agriculture
and food processing sectors to investigate new processes,
equipment, technologies, packaging and products outside
of Nova Scotia.
- partner with industry organizations and other department
agencies to identify, develop and promote value-added
opportunities surrounding the agriculture and food processing
- develop initiatives targeting potential new clients, quality improvements, training and promotion of members' products and services in co-operation with the Taste of Nova Scotia Society and the Taste of Nova Scotia Quality Food Council.
Food Processor Contacts Directory
For additional information, please contact:
Derrick Brooks, Manager
Industry Development and Business Services
Product and Quality Development Division
PO Box 2223
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3C4
Phone: (902) 424- 0344
Fax: (902) 424-4671