The Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture offers a number
of programs and services designed to ensure a clean environment.
Please click on the subject heading for information on any
of the following initiatives.
- The department delivers an Environmental Monitoring
Program for the marine aquaculture industry. Under this
program, aquaculture sites are monitored for their environmental
impacts, and remediation action is undertaken if necessary.
Coastal Zone Management:
- The department leads the Provincial Oceans Network, the inter-departmental body responsible for developing and implementing Nova Scotia's Coastal Strategy. To learn more about the Coastal Strategy, and coastal management in Nova Scotia, click here.
- The province is an active participant in a number of collaborative coastal management initiatives taking place across Nova Scotia. Examples include the Gulf of Maine Council on the Marine Environment, the Bras dOr Lakes Collaborative Environmental Planning Initiative, and the Eastern Scotian Shelf Integrated Management Initiative.
- The department delivers a salmon stocking program
in order to maintain salmon stocks in inland waters.
- The department provides funding for the Adopt-A-Stream
program, which is designed to provide interested community
groups with the opportunity to improve inland fisheries