1.13 m of textual records
1 optical disc
The Charitable Irish Society was founded in Halifax by a number of "natives of the Kingdom of Ireland" on 17 January 1786 to provide for "the relief of such of their poor and indigent Countrymen and their Descendents as may hereafter be found worthy of their countenance and protection." A revision of the constitution in 1795 widened its provision of aid to all poor within the city of Halifax and opened membership to non-Irish so long as they did not belong to another national society in the province. The Society was incorporated in May 1864 (N.S. Statutes 1864 c.49). Early on, aid was distributed primarily as food or money, but later was given as educational scholarships and donations to community agencies. The Society now makes grants to a number of institutions and groups and has contributed generously towards the D’Arcy McGee Chair of Irish Studies and the development of an Irish research collection at Saint Mary’s University. Funds are raised through membership dues and bequests.
Fonds consists of official records of the society, including executive minutes, committee minutes, constitution and bylaws, financial papers, presidential files, correspondence, and proposals for membership. Also includes programs, addresses and menus for Society events; publications and engravings, and a brief history of the Society compiled in digital format in 2009.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The fonds was donated by the Charitable Irish Society.
Further accruals may be expected.
MG 20, Vols 61 70, 345 347, 1300, 1360, 1499; MG 100 Vol 26 #4, MG 100 Vol 74 #27, MG 100 Vol 158 #11, Library AK F90 .C37; Library v/f Vol 57 #9,#10; Accession nos. 1997-119, 2002-046, 2003-053, and 2010-034.