On May 26, 2004, S.W. Weeks Construction Ltd. submitted an Environmental Assessment Registration Document for the proposed East Uniacke Quarry Expansion, East Uniacke, Hants County, Nova Scotia.
The purpose of the proposed project is to expand the existing East Uniacke Quarry footprint to allow for future aggregate production, stockpiling and occasional asphalt production. The proposed undertaking will allow the quarry to continue operating for several decades. Under the Environmental Assessment Regulations, a quarry in excess of 4 hectares in area primarily engaged in the extraction of ordinary stone, building or construction stone, sand, gravel, or ordinary soil is defined as a Class 1 undertaking.
On June 21, 2004, the Minister of Environment and Labour released a decision (PDF: 118k) concerning this review. The Minister has decided to approve the undertaking with conditions in accordance with Section 13(1)b of the Environmental Assessment Regulations, pursuant to Part IV of the Environment Act.
The undertaking has been approved subject to a number of conditions (PDF: 80k). The proponent is required to obtain all other necessary approvals, permits or authorizations before commencing work on the undertaking.
Opportunities for Public Input
Public comments regarding this project were accepted from May 26, 2004 to June 21, 2004. Comments submitted on Registration Document are available at the Nova Scotia Environment Library.
- East Uniacke Quarry Expansion Project (Project No. NSD17810) (PDF: 5.1mb)
- Appendix A : Registry Of Joint Stocks (PDF: 597k)
- Appendix B : Industrial Approval (PDF: 1.9mb)
- Appendix C : Beaver Bank Road Quarry Hydrology (PDF: 6.4mb)
- Appendix D : Project Information Bulletin (PDF: 2mb)
- Appendix E : Vascular Plants Recorded In Study Area (PDF: 20k)
- Appendix F : Wetland Evaluation (PDF: 21k)
- Appendix G : Vasuclar Plant Species Found In The Wetlands Of The Study Area (PDF: 14k)
- Appendix H : Bird Species Recorded In Study Area (PDF: 15k)